Dedicated web hosting services offer users uncomparable levels of reliability and large resource assignments so that they are able to let their website expand with ease on a dedicated web hosting package without the need to upgrade to a higher end form of web hosting for a long time to come. VPS servers and dedicated hosting servers are often referred to as dedicated web hosting services because they are are the only two?truly?dedicated forms of web hosting available for users, however it should be noted that VPS server hosting can be classed as a form of shared web hosting. Although all web hosting packages come with assignments of disk space and bandwidth, dedicated web hosting services will normally come with guaranteed amounts of RAM and depending on the type of hosting you choose to go with you may also be provided with a share of the processor on your server; both of these extra resources will allow you to achieve a lot more with your web hosting service than is possible with a shared or reseller web hosting package. Hyper-V VPS servers are available for Windows users who wish to use reliable Windows VPS hosting services, and for reliable Linux VPS hosting services users should consider Virtuozzo VPS hosting packages; Windows dedicated server hosting and Linux dedicated server hosting are both available for users whose requirements outstrip what VPS server hosting has to offer. Dedicated web hosting services are often favoured by those who are running mission critical websites such as online shops which may be providing you with a source of income; the main reason for this is the level of reliability that a majority of dedicated web hosting services have to offer, but along with the dedicated environment offered in most cases is a higher level of security which you can use to your advantage.
What are the advantages of using dedicated web hosting?
You are only going to benefit from dedicated web hosting services if you are running a large website which has outgrown a standard shared web hosting package in what it requires; the main reason for this is that most dedicated web hosting services are expensive, and it not worth paying a lot for a web hosting package which you?don’t?need. The main advantage to using either VPS server hosting or dedicated server hosting is the level of reliability that you will achieve in having a more dedicated form of web hosting; most businesses and individuals who are upgrading from shared web hosting services are often doing so because of a lack of reliability on their existing web hosting package. As you are provided with your own dedicated environment regardless of the form of dedicated web hosting you choose to go down, you are able to secure your server to a level which suits your requirements; with lower forms of web hosting including shared web hosting and reseller web hosting you have no control over the security measures which your web hosting providers puts into place, thus meaning that the server could be more insecure than you think it is. You will also receive larger assignments of disk space and bandwidth with a dedicated web hosting service which may not necessarily be possible with a shared web hosting package; this will allow you to grow your website on your dedicated web hosting package without the need to upgrade for a long time. In summary, the main advantages of dedicated web hosting include:
* Reliability – if you choose to go down the route of VPS hosting when it comes to dedicated web hosting services you will find that many providers are now making use of so called ?cloud computing services meaning that a VPS server is hosted across a cluster of servers instead of a single node, thus increasing the reliability of the VPS server hosting service which you are paying for – if you choose to purchase a Windows or Linux dedicated server then you will also receive a similar level of reliability as you will be the sole user of the server meaning that you?won’t?have to worry about the performance of other VPS servers or websites, although it is important for you to maintain your server to ensure that it remains reliable
* Security – security is another issue which is at the forefront of most peoples minds when it comes to considering web hosting providers as hackers are becoming more professional when it comes to gaining access to servers meaning that even a server which could be classed as highly secured could be hacked by a malicious attacker is they tried hard enough – if you choose a dedicated web hosting package then you will be able to make sure that your server hosting service is as secure as possible so that if a hacker does try to gain access to your server, the likelihood will be that they will fail
* Resource assignments – the introduction of guaranteed amounts of RAM and in some cases CPU share with dedicated web hosting services is something which can confuse many people, but the main thing to remember is that the higher your share of the server CPU and the larger the amount of RAM that your server has, the more reliable it is going to be – VPS servers and dedicated servers also come with guaranteed amounts of disk space and bandwidth like all web hosting packages, but they just larger with dedicated web hosting services – in order to receive the highest resource assignments it is recommended that you choose a dedicated server as you can customize the hardware specifications of your server to meet your requirements.
The advantages of dedicated web hosting services mean that both businesses and individuals stand to benefit a lot from dedicated web hosting services. However, you should only consider dedicated web hosting services if your website provides you with a source of income and is classed as mission critical; dedicated web hosting services are also ideal for websites which will be processing personal data because of the level of security that is available.
Disadvantages of Dedicated Web Hosting
As with all forms of web hosting, dedicated web hosting services do come with their disadvantages in terms of how much you will be paying as well as the level of support which you can expect from your web hosting provider. Due to the fact that you are effectively purchasing your own server with dedicated web hosting services, you need to be prepared for the high costs which are involved; the cheapest form of dedicated web hosting available will be Linux VPS hosting, although for the best level of performance you should consider Linux or Windows dedicated server hosting. Support can also be an issue with dedicated web hosting services sometime; although there are managed dedicated web hosting services available, some people choose to use unmanaged dedicated web hosting services which ultimately means that they are fully responsible for the management of their server, and if something goes wrong it is up to them to sort it out. The management of a VPS server or dedicated server can also be a problem with some people due to the level of skill that is required; however, you should take into consideration that come web hosting providers require that you have some sort of server management knowledge before purchasing a dedicated web hosting service. You will find that the main disadvantages of dedicated web hosting packages include:
* Cost – whether you choose to go with a VPS server or dedicated server you will find that the amount that you are paying is higher than what you may have been paying previously for a shared or reseller web hosting package – however, if you are considering dedicated web hosting services then the likelihood is that you are only doing so because your website is no longer suitable to be hosted in a shared web hosting environment meaning that your only other choice is to pay extra and upgrade to dedicated web hosting services
* Support – some web hosting providers will only offer self-managed/unmanaged dedicated web hosting services and will expect customers to have some level of knowledge of how to manage VPS servers or dedicated servers as otherwise they will find that they wont be able to make the most of the dedicated web hosting service which they are paying for – if you feel that this may affect you then you should ensure that you choose a web hosting provider that will be able to offer you fully managed dedicated web hosting services
* Management – managing a VPS server or dedicated server requires a certain level of skill, regardless of whether or not you choose to have Linux or Windows installed on your dedicated web hosting service – regardless of whether you choose to go for a managed dedicated web hosting service or an unmanaged dedicated web hosting service, you will find that your web hosting provider will have expectations of you in the form of a certain amount of server side management skill, and if you?don’t?have any clue on how to managed a VPS server or dedicated server then you should consider other forms of web hosting which are available.
The disadvantages which you can face with dedicated web hosting services are only likely to affect you if you?don’t?choose your web hosting provider correctly and end up with a dedicated web hosting package which?doesn’t?suit your needs properly. In the event that you?aren’t?able to manage a VPS server or dedicated server properly, you should consider contracting a third party that will be able to do it on your behalf.
In conclusion, dedicated web hosting services offer users a reliable web hosting platform to upgrade to from either shared web hosting or Linux web hosting, regardless of whether they choose a VPS server or a dedicated server. Regardless of the disadvantages of dedicated web hosting services, a server which is managed well can be strongly secured which will prevent it from being hacked by malicious attackers who may be trying to gain access. Dedicated web hosting services also come with higher resource assignments that help to make them good value for money in the long run as it means you wont have to upgrade your web hosting service for a long time to come.